Home > Property > Housing Insurance for a Rented Property

Housing Insurance for a Rented Property

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 23 Jan 2016 | comments*Discuss
Consumer Rights Housing Insurance Rental

There are pros and cons to live in rented property. You might not have the same feeling or rootedness and security you do if you own your own place but at the same time, there are a number of responsibilities that don’t fall on your shoulders.

So, even though you can’t do what you want with the property, you don’t have to worry when repairs need to be carried out. You landlord, whether you rent privately or through the council, will take care of those. Your main concern is making sure that your rent is paid.


When you rent a property, whether it’s a house or a flat, who’s responsible for the property itself in case or fire, flood, or some major problem?

If you’re a tenant, the goods news is that it’s not you. That devolves to the person who owns the property. At some point you’ll move out, but the property will remain, and it’s the owner who has to look after the building itself.

Of course, if you’re the owner, you have to make sure that the property is fully insured, not only for disasters that might happen, but also to cover any damage tenants might do. You’ll have a surety bond, of course, usually equivalent to a month’s rent, which will cover many things, but wilful damage can leave you out of pocket.You’ll also need mortgage insurance (depending on the type of mortgage you have, it may well be stipulated in your loan agreement).

As with your own house, it’s vital that you keep your coverage up to date, especially as house values have increased, and that you make your payments on time. Be very clear about what’s covered, and what’s not – you don’t want to have your property to be a flood victim, only to discover you’re not covered for the damage.

Be aware, too, of the amount you’ll have to pay out of pocket first on any claim. As a general rule, the greater it is, the lower your premium. However, it’s worth finding a balance, so you’re not spending too much in case of a problem.


In many ways, the tenants have it easy – all they have to do is insure the contents of the house – that is, the goods they own. Unfortunately, many don’t, trusting that there will never be a problem, and can sometimes end up losing everything in the event of a fire or major flood.

Contents insurance is usually for a minimum of £40,000, although you can increase that if you have more, and items of particular value need to be noted and may mean a higher premium, or possibly an a separate policy in exceptional cases. Again, if you do make a claim, there will be a certain initial amount that you’ll have to pay before the insurance kicks in, but it’s generally quite reasonable.

Always obtain several quotes before signing with any company for any insurance. Many brokers and sites will be able to do this for you. Consider not only how much you’re paying in an annual premium (you can usually pay by instalments over the year), but what the coverage is, how much your liability is – the factors that can affect a payout. You should also investigate a company’s’ reputation; you don’t want to put in a claim only to find that getting your money is like pulling teeth and takes forever. You want to deal with a company that’s prompt and on your side.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Help/advice needed. My mum has lived in her council house for 47 yrs. She would love for my daughter (her grandaughter) to buy it. She has roughly half the money to put down. Is it possible for my daughter to take the remaining amount out in a mortgage. I am being given mixed information about this. Some are saying my daughter could not get a mortgage as the house is in my mums name that it would have to be my mum who gets the mortgage therefore this isnt possible as my mum is 72. My daughter does live with my mum most of the time anyway but does not have her name on the (rent book) we are in the process of getting this done. Then the council are saying my daughter has to have been at mums for 6mths before she can apply jointly to buy but because the right to buy ends 1st August this yr this isnt possible. Any advice is much appreciated. rt
mollie - 23-Jan-16 @ 2:50 PM
I have applied for the right to buy. The council have agreed but the valuation is extortionate. I dont know what they have based it on but our council tax band is lower than the other six properties around ours. I have requested an independent valuation but I dont know how they are going to alter £190000 valuation to the real valuation which I believe should be around £95-100000. We have no back garden as the others, we have an un habitable basement that the council always refused to do any work on due to their estimated costs of £30000.It is brick on soil and has fungus growing on the walls.The council fitted new windows and door to this basement but then told us it was not to be used. We have not been given any information of land with the property or boundaries. The wooden window frames are rotten because the council refused to maintain them as they say they have no access to the back. However, the rider with the property states access/egress rights.We have only one room downstairs and the bathroom was adapted for a disabled person when we moved in. It has recently been altered by the council, who now say the band may change because they have improved the bathroom.
ericweric - 31-Aug-14 @ 12:32 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • locsel
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    bought AUDI TT tfsi 2011 52000 miles for 9900 on 20th aug 2019 after 6 days slave cylinder broke dealer took back to repair then…
    13 October 2019
  • Brogsy
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    11 October 2019
  • Marls
    Re: What If Your Plumber Makes Mistakes?
    Plumer put new tap on got him back hot water runningslow fixed it charged £20 is that right
    10 October 2019
  • Henry
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    Steer clear of Luke and Daniel Ray near Reading. Patio work overpriced. Payment demanded with threats to property. They may be in…
    8 October 2019
  • Ste65
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    we purchased a Ford Galaxy on a 58 Plate on finance. within first month it has work done on it by the Car Dealer.. ie-oil leak…
    28 September 2019
  • Giizmo49
    Re: A Guide to the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    I purchased a Sony TV for 3999£ just under a year ago. The tv has become defective through no fault of our own. The…
    28 September 2019
  • Glibly
    Re: How to Complain
    Had Recliner leather sofa’s for 4 months ( away from home one month). A working couple with no pets or children. Tear’s under cushions but Harvey’s…
    28 September 2019
  • Sarina
    Re: Buying a New Car: Your Rights
    Hi, I've just brought a new Qashqai on a 3 year lease, there seems to be a technical fault with it as it's costing me a…
    23 September 2019
  • Kim
    Re: When Cosmetic Surgery Goes Wrong
    Hi..had a mini tummy tuck 2 weeks ago. Absolutely devastated. Scar is really high and up to the top if my hip bones... I…
    21 September 2019
  • Upset
    Re: What Can I Do When Goods I've Ordered Don't Arrive?
    I purchased Keto Pure from Go Healths on 28 March 2019. I have being sending emails and they…
    17 September 2019