Home > Holidays > Holiday Lets: Is the Contract With Owner or Agent?

Holiday Lets: Is the Contract With Owner or Agent?

Author: Sarah Clark (ILEX) - Updated: 17 September 2012 | commentsComment
Accommodation Holiday Property Agent

If you are thinking of making a complaint about holiday accommodation, it can be difficult to know who you legally have the complaint against. You might have booked a holiday cottage/villa or self catering accommodation through an agent, but it's owned by an individual who you have had absolutely no contact with so far. So how do you know who to complain to, and who is legally responsible for the upkeep of, and any problems with, holiday accommodation?

Contract Law - Agents.

Under contract law, you usually have a contract whoever it is that you pay your money to. So if you were to find a hotel online, book a room and pay for it directly, it's easy to see that you have a contract with the owners of the hotel. They are bound by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act and the related Supply of Goods and Services Act to provide you with a holiday that fits the description made of it in the brochure, to supply all services with reasonable skill and care, and provide a holiday that is of 'satisfactory quality'.

The waters become muddier when you book a holiday cottage or other holiday accommodation through an agent. You might see a holiday let advertised, and have to book it through a third party. In this case, the third party is acting as the property owner's agent, and although you are paying them the money, the contract for the holiday let is formed between you and the property owner. If you check the booking conditions of any of the big holiday cottage booking agencies, you will usually find right at the start of their booking conditions, an explanation of this along the lines of:

"We, Acme Holiday Company Limited , act as agent in booking your holiday accommodation and any other related services. Your contract will be with your accommodation owner or other service provider."

What if the Holiday Accommodation is Not as Described?

This is a tricky situation in that morally you could say that both parties are liable. For example, if you spot holiday accommodation in a brochure that clearly states there is a cot available for a baby - but on arrival the cot is sadly absent, you have every right to complain as you booked the accommodation on the basis of information provided by the agent. You should notify the agent of the error, and they will have to prove that any such information was passed onto them in good faith. Legally, although the contract is still with the property owner, if the owner can prove that they passed on the correct information about their holiday accommodation to the agent, but the agent misinformed you, they can take action themselves against the agency. The correct way to deal with this sort of issue is to notify the booking agent but address any complaints to the owner. The agent should give you the owner's details when you make your booking.

It will always be the owner of the accommodation that is liable for any compensation - in this scenario for example, perhaps you would have had to buy a travel cot because you needed somewhere for your child to sleep. If the mistake was made as a result of an error by the booking agent, the owner then has the option of recovering the cost from the booking agent, as the owner will have his or her own contract with the agent.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
Why not be the first to leave a comment, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopfully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • jeannie
    Re: Council Houses - Your Right to Buy
    i am a housing association Tennant of 34 years , can my son pay for my house if I wish to buy
    26 May 2015
  • jeannie
    Re: Council Houses - Your Right to Buy
    I'm a housing association tennant of 34 years , I'm on income support and carers allowance . My son can afford to give me…
    26 May 2015
  • amanda18h
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    I am frustrated to say the least! We had a replacement conservatory upvc instead of a wooden one! The front door of the property…
    26 May 2015
  • Kye
    Re: How to Complain
    Hello I purchased a wood table from BnM stores last year July 2014 - I didn't use the table until August 2014 and had it out in use for 3 months, I…
    26 May 2015
  • Goonerlady
    Re: How to Complain
    I purchased a Mamas and Papas buggy in August 2013 from Next. The harness strap became faulty in June 2014. Next said they couldnt fix it and to…
    26 May 2015
  • buddy
    Re: Claiming Compensation Under Data Protection Act
    Could any one offer some advice, I fled domestic violence a year ago being placed in a safe house with my…
    25 May 2015
  • Brenda
    Re: Is the Shop or Manufacturer Responsible for Faulty Goods?
    Hi. Bought panasonic tv two years ago from currys with one years guarantee. Developed fault…
    25 May 2015
  • frustrated
    Re: When Your Hair Do Goes Wrong
    Okay I had a pretty bad reaction to the hair dye or toner than this salon used. To add insult to the injury this was an upscale…
    24 May 2015
  • chas
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    hello i purchased a car from a dealer 5 months ago,i was given a 3month warranty,the car was £1300.the gearbox has failed,do i…
    24 May 2015
  • Teri
    Re: Buying a New Car: Your Rights
    Hi, I have purchased a new Car 21/05/15 on PCP and give a deposit of £200.00, I have also signed the contract. However, I felt…
    24 May 2015
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ConsumerRightsExpert website. Please read our Disclaimer.