Home > Financial > Your Investment Rights

Your Investment Rights

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 21 Nov 2010 | comments*Discuss
Consumer Rights Investments Life

Investing for the future is a great idea. If you invest wisely and steadily, you can make sure you enjoy a comfortable and possibly even early retirement. But exactly what kind of rights do you have with your investments?

What You Should Expect

What should you expect from someone advising you on your investments? Professionalism is a given and a thorough knowledge of everything involved. They should give you proper information so you can make your decisions and in the event something goes wrong, have good established procedures for complaints and compensation.

Every firm in the investment business in the U.K. has to be licenced. Their salespeople must at the very least have a minimum qualification, like the Financial Planning Certificate or others. If the person who comes to see you is a trainee, the supervisor with him must be fully-qualified.

If through a sales person's negligence or fraud, you buy an unsuitable product, there are some regulations to give you protection and the offending individuals can be banned from the business, while rule-breaking firms can be fined or lose their licence. This only applies however, if you took their advice to buy a product. If you didn't take advice first, you're on your own.

Perhaps most importantly, the advice you're given should be right for you, to help you achieve your goal whilst fitting in with your current financial circumstances.

Before You Buy

The first thing any sales person should do is give you an initial disclosure document and tell you their terms of business. They should also tell you not only the main features of their products, but also the amount of commission they make on the sales of them to you. Finally, they should tell you your cancellation rights.

After You've Bought

There are two things you should receive when you've purchased a particular product. The first is a key features document. This describes the product, as well as what you pay and your risks. The second is a "suitability letter," which explains why the sales person recommended that particular product for you.


The stock market is a gamble for those who don't know it well, but plenty of people have made money in it. You make your trades through stockbrokers, many of whom carry insurance cover to protect you (you should always check first); that way, if your broker files for bankruptcy or has been proved to be fraudulent, you might be able to reclaim some of your money.


An ISA is run by an approved manager. That's not an individual, but a firm that's authorised to deal with many different financial institutions. If you take out an ISA, you might have to pay fees to the manager. Although you can switch ISAs, you might have to pay a transfer charge, the ISA manager isn't obliged to accept your transfer and you're not allowed to transfer your ISA from one type to another (from cash to stocks, for example).

Life Insurance, Investments and Personal Pensions

If you have a complaint about any of these firms, then by law, they must have proper internal complaint procedures and belong to an independent arbitration scheme. In the event of an insurance company or investment firm declaring bankruptcy, you should be at least partly protected by FSCS

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    CoventryConsumer - Your Question:Hi, we had a guy come and install our new bathroom suite and wall and floor tiles. He asked for…
    17 August 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    Jon - Your Question:HiI bought a ford focus today, found the advert on facebook, the advert said it drives perfectly, and had a…
    17 August 2017
  • Magnus
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    Hi I have been getting an extension built apart from it being a joke since day onewe are now 8 months into a six week job we are…
    17 August 2017
  • Pickard22
    Re: Claiming Compensation Under Data Protection Act
    My bank has sent certified copies of my passport and child benefit letter to another customer. They have…
    16 August 2017
  • CoventryConsumer
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    Hi, we had a guy come and install our new bathroom suite and wall and floor tiles. He asked for money up front for materials then…
    16 August 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: Is the Shop or Manufacturer Responsible for Faulty Goods?
    LauraM - Your Question:Hi, I bought a Dyson earlier this year, January time I think it was…
    16 August 2017
  • Jon
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    Hi I bought a ford focus today, found the advert on facebook, the advert said it drives perfectly, and had a day old MOT. After…
    16 August 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    Han - Your Question:Hi thereMy partner bought a Ford Focus end of March (so just over 4 months ago) from a Vauxhall garage.…
    15 August 2017
  • rui
    Re: Dealing With Cowboy Builders
    Our rented house had a leakage last week. Because it is managed by an estate agent, they sent a plumber down.First day, all…
    14 August 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    - - Your Question:Hi, I recently bought a used car from a used car trade dealer who advertised the car on autotrader. After…
    14 August 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ConsumerRightsExpert website. Please read our Disclaimer.