Home > Health > What The NHS Should Deliver to Patients

What The NHS Should Deliver to Patients

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 8 Aug 2011 | comments*Discuss
Consumer Rights Nhs Health Records

We all depend on the NHS. Even those with health insurance use their general practitioners. Even though it has problems, it's a wonderful service. But it's one which gives you certain rights.

Your GP

People who are ordinarily resident in the UK, including people from other EEA (European Economic Area) countries and abroad, have the right to be registered with a GP. You can choose your GP, although he/she doesn't have to accept you. A refusal, however, must be on reasonable grounds and with reasons given in writing. Some GP practices have established their own practice charters which describe the standards of services a patient can expect and the arrangements for certain services. A practice charter may be displayed in the surgery premises.

If you've been unable to find a GP yourself, you can request that your Primary Care Trust or local health board finds you a GP. You're entitled to treatment from a GP at the surgery where you are registered, but you have no automatic right to see your own GP.

A GP must provide any treatment which is immediately necessary in an emergency, even if you're not registered with them. There's no charge for basic GP treatment for NHS patients who live in the UK. There are charges for visitors from overseas, except in the case of an emergency.


If you are pregnant, you will be able to receive services from midwives, based either in a hospital or in a local health centre or clinic or an obstetrician based in a hospital. You may also have a range of options to choose from on the type of antenatal care you want and where you give birth. How much choice you have depends on the area in which you live, but could include full hospital care, shared care between a GP and hospital staff, or a home birth.

Hospital Treatment

You can't receive NHS hospital treatment without being referred by your GP, unless you're attending a special clinic, for example, for the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, or you need urgent medical attention in an emergency. Access to some forms of treatment may be subject to the Primary Care Trust's (PCT) priorities, and some treatment may not be provided in your area. It may also depend on your need. You can obtain details of those services not provided, and any prioritising criteria, from the PCT.

You have no right to see a consultant or a particular doctor, although this can be requested, nor can your GP insist that you see a particular consultant or doctor. You have the right to see a doctor competent to deal with your case. If you have special reasons for seeing a particular consultant, you could ask for an appointment, explaining your reasons for wanting to see them. If you still have difficulty in seeing the consultant, you could write to the hospital administrator asking for their help.

You may wish to get a second opinion after seeing a consultant, either as an out-patient or an in-patient. You'll need to request this from the consultant, who may arrange for you to see someone else. If the consultant doesn't agree, ask your GP to help.

In England, you have the right to be offered the choice of at least four hospitals when you need to see a specialist for further treatment. You can book the appointment yourself. Your GP must give you an appointment request slip first. This must have a reference number and password which you use when you make your booking.

You may be unable to receive the hospital treatment you need immediately, and may have to go on a waiting list. There are maximum waiting times for in-patient treatment under the NHS. If necessary, treatment may be arranged in an alternative hospital to meet this guarantee. There are also waiting time standards for a first appointment as an out-patient.

Care In Hospital

The national maximum waiting time for A&E is 4 hours and patients will only be admitted if this is necessary. Most patients are able to be treated and return home. If you're using an out-patients' department, you should be given a specific appointment time and should usually be seen within 30 minutes of that time.

You should not be examined or given any treatment or operation without your consent, unless you have a notifiable disease or are a carrier of one, you've been detained under the Mental Health Act, your life is in danger, you're unconscious and you cannot indicate your wishes, the patient is a child who is a ward of court and the court decides that a specific treatment is in the child's interests, or a court or someone who has parental responsibility authorises treatment.

You don't have the right to be cared for in a single sex ward. However, you do have the right to be informed before you go into hospital (unless it is an emergency or you are admitted to an intensive care unit) whether you will be in a mixed ward.

If your operation is cancelled, you should be offered an alternative date. In most cases, this should be within 28 days of the original date and sooner for life threatening conditions. If this does not happen, you may want to complain.

You shouldn't be discharged until your care needs are assessed and arrangements made to ensure that you will receive any necessary services when you are discharged. You have the right to see most health records held about you, subject to certain safeguards. You're entitled to be informed of the uses of the information, who has access to them and how you can arrange to see your records.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: When Your Hair Do Goes Wrong
    Merida - Your Question:(Continued from previous comment below).on them which is irrelevant as I was showing them as a reference to…
    13 December 2017
  • Merida
    Re: When Your Hair Do Goes Wrong
    (Continued from previous comment below) ...on them which is irrelevant as I was showing them as a reference to what colour I…
    12 December 2017
  • Merida
    Re: When Your Hair Do Goes Wrong
    I went to the Hairdressers (~45 miles away, not a convenient or cheap commute) after seeing an ad on their Facebook page which I…
    12 December 2017
  • ali
    Re: What If Your Plumber Makes Mistakes?
    I hired a plumber and checked his company and website. He started work and agreed to finish in two weeks time. He never…
    12 December 2017
  • elcottero
    Re: What If Your Plumber Makes Mistakes?
    I had a kitchen fitted in March 2017. The company claim to provide excellent customer service and professional…
    8 December 2017
  • Phil294
    Re: Buying a Used Car: Your Rights
    Hi I bought a car about 6 months ago and I've just noticed that the skirt underneath the passenger front door has a huge dent in…
    8 December 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: When Am I Not Entitled to a Refund?
    Richie - Your Question:I have purchased a laminate floor online which was labelled as express click. My carpenter quoted…
    8 December 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: What If Your Plumber Makes Mistakes?
    Hotham - Your Question:I live in a large first floor apartment with no loft space. I employed what I thought was a local…
    8 December 2017
  • cupcake
    Re: Is the Shop or Manufacturer Responsible for Faulty Goods?
    have had a mattress replaced within the 5 years of the guarantee.It was 2 years old and had…
    8 December 2017
  • ConsumerRightsExpert
    Re: When Your Hair Do Goes Wrong
    Kayleigh - Your Question:Hi,I went to a salon to get my hair bleached a few months back. The bleaching went fine, but the…
    8 December 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ConsumerRightsExpert website. Please read our Disclaimer.